The SPCA celebrates 60 Years !!
The Orangeburg SPCA began in October 1957 by a local woman, Maude Schiffley, and her friends who saw a need for rescuing stray and unwanted animals. With no physical location to operate from they found foster parents who were willing to care for the animals until permanent homes could be found. The rescue closed in 1960 due to lack of funds and community support. In 1971 a group of concerned citizens re-opened the rescue and were allowed to operate out of a small space at the Orangeburg Animal Control building currently on Ruf Road. They named the rescue after Maude Schiffly. The Orangeburg SPCA, Maude Schiffley Chapter was granted full use of the building in late 2009 when Animal Control moved to their new building on Ellis Ave. After extensive renovations, Orangeburg SPCA moved into their adoption center May 2010.
We will have several events throughout 2017 to celebrate. Watch your monthly newsletter for dates!

Our Mission
The mission of the Maude Schiffley SPCA is to be a no-kill, non-profit adoption center, which provides care for sheltered dogs and cats: Facilitates placement of adoptive animals in nurturing, responsible homes; reduces pet overpopulation through spaying and neutering; and offers various educational opportunities to the public.

Leave a Reply